Types of Entry Doors
The nature of your premises determines the type of door you will install. Each door comes with unique advantages and disadvantages in terms of functionality, security and aesthetics, among other factors. There are other factors like budget and suitability that will determine the type of door you install at a building. Here is a look at different types of doors and the merits as well as demerits of using it.
Timber might be considered as the classic idea of a door. It has been used for centuries in all societies because of the ease in availability of timber. Timber is also easy to model because it requires the use of localized equipments for cutting and shaping. Some wooden doors were made from woven materials. In fact, timber is the most common type of material for making both indoor and outdoor doors.
Advantages of wooden doors
- Affordable- timber is easily obtained from local forests and thus a perfect option when looking for a localized solution.
- Variety- wood is available in different varieties. This makes it easier to obtain the design or color that suits your house design or style.
- Classic- a wooden door gives your house the classic appeal. This will significantly raise the value of your house.
- Durable- because wood is obtained from the local community, it can withstand the environmental elements and thus last long.
- Easy to modify- wooden doors can be manipulated to give the house a different feel for aesthetic purposes.
Disadvantages of wooden doors
- Easily damaged- compared to other materials, wood is easily damaged by elements like heat and water.
- Less secure- it is easy to break into a house if the door is made of wood than one made of steel.
- Vulnerable- wooden doors will easily catch fire which might bring down an entire structure. It also succumbs to pressure.
- Requires extensive maintenance- wooden doors need regular maintenance like furnish and cleaning. This will prevent cracks from forming on the surface.
Steel doors are fabricated in factories for both indoor and outdoor use. The doors may either be solid or hollow. Steel is increasingly becoming the preferred alternative to wood for both commercial and residential use. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of using steel.
Advantages of steel doors
- Secure- it is difficult to break through steel doors. This gives the property owner peace of mind even when far away from the property.
- Easy to develop a variety of designs- steel fabrication helps to produce excellent designs that can match the overall style of your house.
- Easy to maintain- steel does not require a lot of maintenance attention. With a coat of paint, you can ignore the door for months. You only need to wipe off any dust or water to keep the door neat.
- Resilient- steel doors withstand harsh elements like heat and water without compromising their integrity. This makes the doors among the longest lasting variety in the market.
Disadvantages of steel doors
- Expensive– because of fabrication, steel doors are expensive. However, it will depend on the material and design.
- Vulnerable to corrosion- if not well maintained, steel doors can easily corrode. This may pose danger of injury to people within the premises.
Fiberglass doors are new entrants involving a mixture of glass and cloth. The material is light, non-flammable but very strong. It is mainly used for indoor spaces. It is preferred because of its ease in maintenance, light weight and favorable price. They are also perfect insulators.
There are other types of doors including reinforced plastic and aluminum. Other areas may also be demarcated using PVC doors. The decision to use one material over the other depends on the level of security require, aesthetic and budget.